I grew up watching Bollywood films, as did many other Desi kids. Growing up in New Jersey surrounded by mostly Caucasian families, Bollywood films helped me connect to my culture. I remember sitting in front of the TV and watching the same movie over and over. Back then there was no DVR, and I didn’t have access to internet, so there was no skipping through commercials or watching the songs elsewhere. I watched hundreds of films, but there are some that I will never forget. There are certain films that immediately remind me of my childhood, that I can relay scene by scene. After asking my followers on my blog, and using my own childhood experience I compiled a list of ten movies that every 90s Desi kid remembers.
- Kuch Kuch Hota Hai – This Shahrukh Khan, Kajol, and Rani Mukerji starrer is a movie that is iconic in every way. From the style, the romance, to the “pyar dosti hai” this movie is one that every 90s Desi kids can’t seem to forget.
- Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gham – A Bollywood film that has romance, comedy, drama, and can be watched with the family?!?!? Not to mention the iconic character played by Kareena Kapoor. Who doesn’t want to be Poo?? This film has an amazing soundtrack, a lovable family, and a phenomenal ensemble cast.
- Hum Saath Saath Hain – A family drama that encompasses all of the traditional Desi sanskaars? You may not have loved this movie, but I bet your mom made you watch it dozens of time.
- Har Dil Jo Pyar Karega – Salman Khan, Preity Zinta, and Rani Mukerji in one movie? And a guest appearance by Shahrukh? This movie has the stars, the romance, the music, and the comedy.
- Mujhse Dosti Karoge – This movie has a ridiculous plot, but it was played on TV at least once a week, and after watching it again and again you can’t help but love it.
- Koi Mil Gaya – A movie about a alien, Hrithik Roshan, and Preity Zinta? Sign me up! The effects might have not been that cool, but young me was very impressed.
- Kal Ho Naa Ho – A movie about a man with cancer, a friend zoned guy, and a chasmish. This movie is iconic in every way. A Dadi who wants you to get married, a family that constantly fights, a girl who just wants to be left alone, a mother who carries the household, and a secret illegitimate child. Most of all, it’s the one movie that can make you cry every single time!!
- Mohabbatein – Shahrukh sees his dead girlfriend everywhere, helps three boys fall in love, and all while playing a violin and pissing off a principal who for some reason hates love and happiness. This movie has an iconic soundtrack, amazing clothes, and Shahrukh’s charm.
- Kaho Na Pyaar Hai – A movie about a two people who fall in love when stranded on a island? Only to be rescued, but then one of them dies, and then their look alike shows up?!?! You didn’t have a real childhood if you don’t remember at least one movie with a random look alike character, and this iconic Hrithik step.
- Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge – A traditional Indian family living abroad, a daughter who’s arranged to marry someone she’s never met, a boy who’s rich and carefree, and a father who’s very strict. This movie is one that every Indian girl can relate to.
Featured Image Source: asia.nikkei.com