Every Bollywood celebrity is problematic in some way or another, but there are some that are just hated the most. But still these widely hated actors/actresses continue to have thriving careers in the film industry. Here are ten Bollywood celebrities (in no particular order) that you can hate, but can’t ignore.
- Salman Khan – Infamous for
allegedlyrunning over a homeless man and killing him, Salman is probably the biggest bully in Bollywood. Salman holds the power to destroy newcomer’s careers, as well as make them with a snap of a finger (Vivek Oberoi for example). Not to mention the way he treats women as well as how he talks about them. But still Salman manages to rule the box office as well as Bollywood. His movies, which tend to release on Eid, have the biggest openings of the year. It’s simply impossible to be a Bollywood fan and ignore Salman.
- Sunny Leone – Sunny Leone may have started out in Bollywood as a joke, but her career is anything but that. You can hate her for her porn star past, but the reality is that her movies make money and she continues to get more offers. Other Bollywood contemporaries may be laughing at her, but Sunny is laughing all the way to the bank. With back to back hits, she’s not leaving anytime soon.
- Katrina Kaif – It seems that people either hate Katrina Kaif or like her, there is no in between. If you’re part of the latter you may under the impression that Katrina’s career is practically over, but it’s not. Katrina is not only a Bollywood actress, but she has become a part of modern Indian culture. You may not watch Katrina’s movies but you will hear about her in other ones, a recent one being Main Tera Hero. Having powerful friends such as Salman Khan and Kabir Khan also doesn’t hurt. Katrina Kaif is mentioned at nearly every function and at every award show. You may not like her but you will hear about her.
- Sonakshi Sinha – Another child star who has hardly acted since her launch in Dabangg alongside Salman Khan. Perhaps the only movie that Sonakshi showed even a tiny bit of acting talent is Lootera. Her lack of success acting wise has not hurt her popularity in any way. Sonakshi continues to sign films, and attend big events and award shows. Sonakshi also has powerful connections. Prime Minister Modi attended her brother’s wedding, and her dad is an important political as well Bollywood figure. Sonakshi also has strong friendships with other actors, notably Salman Khan. Her last name, as well as her connections make her impossible to ignore.
- Ranbir Kapoor – With his last few films being huge flops, and Katrina Kaif’s interview with Vogue about their relationship Ranbir Kapoor has become one of the most hated younger actors. He’s loaded with talent, but he is quite possible the definition of an douche-bag. There’s no denying that Ranbir is probably an awful human being, but most of the men in his family are. With such low standards for men in Bollywood Ranbir, and his career will do just fine. A last name like Kapoor, and rich and famous family and friends will keep his career thriving. Ranbir will continue to sign films and recieve a huge pay check for many more years.
- Yo Yo Honey Singh – Honey Singh is widely hated for his annoyingly catchy songs, as well as his vulgar lyrics. As much as you may want to ignore his music, Honey Singh’s songs are everywhere. His Punjabi song High Heels was just recently remixed for the Bollywood movie Ki and Ka. Honey Singh has also directed the music for widely loved film soundtracks, such as Chennai Express, Ragini MMS 2, Kick, The Shaukeens, and Gabbar is Back. Although Honey Singh took a little break to go to rehab at the end of 2015, he has since released his first Punjabi movie (which was a super hit) and will get back to business.
- Amy Jackson – Amy Jackson is criticized immensely for her presence in Indian cinema. Born in Britian, Amy has no connection to anything Indian in anyway. She was brought into Indian cinema because she had an Indian look. Amy continues to play Indian characters and angering Bollywood fans everywhere. But as much as you might want to ignore her, Amy continues to work alongside top Indian actors, including Rajinikanth as well as Akshay Kumar. It’s hard to ignore the presence of a actress who’s working with all your faves.
- Kalki Koechlin – Kalki has long faced criticism for her statements claiming to be brown at heart. While Kalki’s presence in Bollywood continues to be debated, she continues to impress Bollywood viewers and critics alike with her performances. Kalki’s films are thought provoking, and always shine at award shows. For any serious films watcher it’s impossible to appreciate Bollywood films and not watch a movie starring Kalki.
- Sonam Kapoor – It seems that Sonam Kapoor always has her foot in the mouth, and can’t do anything other than dress well (which she credits to her sister, so I guess she can’t do anything???). But her recent film Neerja is proving that all wrong. It seems that with the right script Sonam can actually act in her films, and she’s not just a show piece. If Sonam continues to choose good scripts it will impossible to ignore her as a Bollywood fan. If not, her family name as well as brand endorsements like L’Oréal will keep her relevant.
- Alia Bhatt – Alia Bhatt’s entire career seems to have been handed to her on a silver platter. That’s just the truth. With a Godfather like Karan Johar, and a father like Mahesh Bhatt Alia always has a line of films to sign. The young actress had three films release in 2014 (all of which were major box office successes), one in 2015, two this year, and has two big banner films releasing next year (one of which is with Shahrukh Khan!). You may not like Alia because of her privilege, but with the amount of films she releases in a year it’s nearly impossible to ignore her.